A prosecution witness in the trial of Victor Ekpong Thompson has told a Federal High Court in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, that the defendant allegedly forged a mining licence and used it to defraud three American investors of $525,276.
The second prosecution witness (PW2), Michael Eyo, testified before Justice Maurine Adaobi Onyetenu that Thompson tricked him into releasing his mining licence, photographed the document, and later used it to convince foreign investors that he operated a legitimate mining business.
Thompson was first arraigned on January 29, 2026, on an eight-count charge bordering on conspiracy, advance fee fraud, criminal breach of trust, criminal misappropriation, and stealing. He pleaded not guilty to all charges.
One of the charges reads:
“That you, Victor Ekpong Thompson, on or between January 2025 and June 2025 in Nigeria, within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court, with intent to defraud, fraudulently obtained the total sum of $123,030 from Tammy Jensen, Peter Jensen, Kenneth Blad, and other unsuspecting investors under the pretence of investing the money in mineral resources mining and a Deep Sea Port business, thereby committing an offence contrary to Section 1(1)(b) of the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Related Offences Act, 2006, and punishable under Section 1(3) of the same Act.”
While giving evidence, Eyo told the court that he owned a mining site in Biase Local Government Area of Cross River State.
“The fraudster asked me to bring the originals of my licence so he could verify their authenticity. Thereafter, he snapped the licence, not knowing he intended to forge it and use it to convince investors,” Eyo said.
Earlier, defence counsel Madu Uwem Amamko had moved a bail application on health grounds, arguing that Thompson required medical attention. However, prosecution counsel Joshua Abolarin opposed the application, insisting that the defendant’s health condition was not life-threatening.
After hearing arguments from both sides, Justice Onyetenu adjourned ruling on the bail application until June 8, 2026.
Earlier in the trial, on March 26, 2026, one of the alleged victims, Tammy Jensen, told the court how she met Thompson on Facebook in August 2022, where he presented himself as a precious stones dealer.
According to her, Thompson persuaded her and other investors to fund a mining project under a proposed company, Arch Royale Projects Limited, which he claimed would operate in Iwuru Community, Biase Local Government Area of Cross River State.
She further alleged that Thompson later introduced another investment opportunity involving a Deep Sea Port project in Akwa Ibom State, promising substantial returns.
Jensen told the court that between 2023 and 2025, a total of $525,276 was transferred to Thompson’s accounts. However, upon visiting Nigeria in June 2025, she discovered discrepancies that convinced her the projects were fraudulent.
Thompson’s arrest followed a petition dated October 18, 2025, filed on behalf of several American investors, including Tammy Jensen, Kenneth Blad, Peter Jensen, Beth Southwick, and Angie Craven.
According to the petition, Thompson allegedly contacted Jensen via Facebook on August 20, 2022, portraying himself as a legitimate businessman involved in the exploration of precious stones such as emerald, ruby, and sapphire.
Investigators alleged that he used false credentials to gain the trust of investors and persuaded them to finance both the mining venture and the purported Deep Sea Port project.
The petition further alleged that Thompson introduced Arch Royale Projects Limited as an operational company despite the fact that it had not been registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission at the time.
Investigations reportedly revealed that he inflated operational costs, withheld funds meant for workers, and used staged photographs and fabricated project updates to sustain the scheme.
In the Deep Sea Port deal, Thompson allegedly claimed involvement in a $6.7 billion project and invoked the names of senior government officials to gain credibility. He reportedly demanded $110,000 as documentation fees, claiming other funding had already been provided by government officials.
The petitioners allegedly transferred a total of $525,276 between June 2023 and August 2025 through Wells Fargo Bank, Chase Bank, WorldRemit, and other accounts linked to Thompson.
Investigators also alleged that significant portions of the funds were diverted for personal use.
Assets traced to Thompson reportedly include a two-storey duplex at Shelter Afrique Estate, Uyo, a Toyota Hilux, and a grey Lexus RX350.





































