Twenty – seven year old Hilda Bassey Effiong from Akwa Ibom, an oil bearing South South state of Nigeria is on the verge of making history – She is set to break Guinness World Record (GWR).
Nigerians, including Governor Babajide Sanwo -Olu and life coach expert, Natalie Usen, have visited to rally support for the innovative chef as she is set to make history when session ends tomorrow.
GWR is a British reference publication annually listing world records, both of human achievements and the extremes of the natural world.
The Daily Crucible reports that the pretty and Audacious chef had on April 20, announced her plan to engage in a four-day long “cook-a-thon” – a marathon cooking session to set a new world record for the longest cooking period.
Baci seeks to surpass the previous record of 87 hours, 45 minutes, and 00 seconds set by the Indian chef Lata London in 2019.
According to The Cable, Baci’s cook-a-thon began on May 11 at Amore Garden in Lekki, Lagos.
It is set to conclude on Monday evening.
To accomplish her aim, the chef is expected to cook round the clock without sleeping, with only an hour-long break to rest after every 12 hours of continuous cooking.
The paper reports that in the marathon, she has cooked over 115 meals and served over 3,000 portions.
As of the time of the report, the chef has exceeded 66 hours in her attempt.
This feat has garnered a lot of support and euphoria from fans and celebrities alike across social media.
Celebrities like Dremo, IK Osakioduwa, and Eni Adeoluwa have visited the venue to cheer her on.
However, here are 20 things to know about Hilda Baci and her Guinness World Record Marathon Cooking.
1. Her real name is Hilda Bassey Effiong. She is a young Nigerian chef from Akwa Ibom State. She owes a food brand in Lagos called “My Food by Hilda”
2. She will be cooking for 4 days non-stop.
3. She must stand to cook, she is not permitted to sit while cooking.
4. She’s not allowed to take coffee, stimulants, or any energy drink to artificially boost her energy and bodily strength while cooking.
5. She’s allowed to eat food, drink water or fruit juice, and take glucose.
6. The cooking is taking place at Amore Gardens, Lekki, Lagos State, Nigeria.
7. She cooks round the clock, no sleep (Morning, afternoon, evening, and night. So, for 4 nights, she won’t sleep)
8. She has just 5 minutes rest per hour [meaning for every 1 hour, she is entitled to just 5 minutes rest or break, that’s an hour break in every 12 hours].
Other sources claim
She gets a 30-minute break every 6 hours, she spends the 30mins in a medical van which is just close by, within which she can nap, use the restroom, and also get a medical assessment or checkup by the medical team available on the spot.
9. Whatever she cooks is shared to the people at the venue for FREE. She is not selling the food.
10. She cooks different meals simultaneously. She is at liberty to cook any meal she likes. There are no restrictions as to what she can cook or not cook. The World Record title is about cooking within a time frame, not about what is cooked. As long as she is cooking, she is on track.
11. Every meal cooked and every plate served is recorded. She has cooked over 115 meals so far with almost 3,000 portions if not more by the time you are reading this.
12. She started the cooking on Thursday and is expected to complete the target time frame by Monday 15th May, 2023 evening.
13. The current holder of the title Hilda seeks to break is an Indian chef Lata Tandon, who set a Guinness World Record for cooking for 87 hours and 45 minutes non-stop in 2019.
14. To break the record, Hilda Baci is attempting to cook for 96 hours, using extra 9 hours to break the world record as the first human on earth to spend such an amount of time cooking a marathon.
15. She tagged the cooking project “Cook-a-thon”, a phrase literally coined from the word “marathon”
16. She appears exhausted already, but the people around her are cheering her on to boost her morale. And they are available with her as she cook 247, even at night.
17. Most of the food items, ingredients, utensils, etc she used for this project are provided by her sponsors. So, the money expended on this project is not 100% from Hilda or her Food brand.
18. Uber, one of her partners is offering a 40% discounted ride to the venue for people who wishes to join and cheer her up at the venue.
19. Hilda’s mum is also a chef. She owns a food brand called “Calabar Pot”
20. She is 27 years of age.
Source: Oga Yenne
Leave a Reply